Cactus Jack Texas Spareribs
Cook time: 90+ Minutes Servings: 4
- 2 racks Smithfield Pork Spareribs
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Oak or Pecan wood for smoking
- 1 cup apple juice, in a spray bottle
Rattle Snake BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup pepper-style soda
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- For Cactus Jack Rub, combine salt, pepper, garlic, onion, chili powder and seasoned salt in small bowl; mix well. Season ribs on all sides; cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Heat smoker or grill for indirect cooking at 250°F.; add wood for smoking. Place ribs, meaty side up, and smoke for 2 1/2 hours, spraying with apple juice every 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for Rattle Snake BBQ Sauce, heat oil in heavy saucepan over high. Sauté onion, jalapeño and garlic until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients except salt and pepper, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced in volume by 1/3. Remove from heat, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove ribs from smoker; wrap each rack in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Return to smoker, meaty side down, for an additional 2 hours until internal temperature reaches 190°F to 200°F.
- Remove ribs from foil, place back on smoker and brush with Rattle Snake BBQ Sauce; cook for about 20 minutes. Serve with additional BBQ sauce on the side.